Summertime is just around the corner which means it’s time to show your skin a little extra love to prep for showing some extra skin and rocking your tan sans makeup. My skin can be a bit troublesome – from dullness to redness, I never quite know what to expect so I’ve been amping up my skincare game to get ready to swap out my foundation for just a light tinted moisturizer and get glowing once the weather warms up. I recently started a new skincare routine and added some new rituals to my weekly skincare schedule and figured I’d share a few tips that have been working well in case you could use a little reminder to show your skin some extra love:
1. Build beauty from within: We can all get super focused on what products we’re using or how often we’re washing our face but in reality, great skin starts from within. Make an extra effort to stay hydrated and drink water throughout the day to boost skin’s moisture and even help fight off wrinkles. I also recently added OLLY’s new Flawless Complexion vitamins to my daily routine (along with their multi-vitamin, beauty vitamin and probiotic) – it’s packed with a blend of antioxidants and minerals to help fight free radicals and support clear skin. And for someone who hates swallowing pills, the fact that they come in delicious gummy form helps make ‘em a habit I don’t mind every day.
2. Get a deep clean with a double cleanse: By now we all know that sleeping with our makeup on is no bueno but did you know that just using a regular cleanser is probably not enough to really get it all off? I swear by a double cleanse, starting with an oil cleanser on dry skin to remove all makeup and mascara, then followed by a foaming cleanser to really get a deep clean and wash all of the day’s makeup away.
3. Weekly makeup brush & pillowcase washes: When’s the last time you washed your makeup brushes? Can’t remember? Me either usually. I started scheduling weekly washes of both my makeup brushes and pillowcases to make sure it’s never forgotten and keep everything that regularly comes in close contact with my face squeaky clean. To wash your makeup brushes, fill a glass with warm water and a few squirts of your shampoo – swirl brushes around in the glass until they’re nice and soapy, then rinse with warm water, wring out excess water and let dry overnight.
4. Set up a scrub + mask schedule: Along with my makeup brush cleaning day, I’ve started scheduling specific days of the week to scrub and mask. Adding 3 scrub days to my skincare routine has helped fight off dry patches and fight off skin freak-outs by removing dead skin and excess oils. I also try to mask 1-2 times a week, using either a detoxifying clay mask or a moisturizing mask if my skin is looking a little dull (or sometimes I’ll even double mask and do both in the same night starting with the clay mask!)
5. Let your face breathe: Sometimes we can get so focused on having “perfect” skin that we rarely ever give our skin the chance to breathe and have a little break from being covered up with makeup. Whether it’s a lazy Sunday at home or a work from home day during the week, taking a break from makeup once a week can really make a big difference!
What are some of your skincare secret weapons?
This post was sponsored by OLLY and as always, all opinions are 100% honest and my own – authenticity is a top priority and I only partner with brands I truly love. Thank you for supporting the brands that partner with Pretty & Fun!