I shared a confession on Instagram earlier this week that I’m in a bit of a funk when it comes to blogging. The desire to sit down and write or go out and shoot content just hasn’t been there, and instead of beating myself up over it, I’ve just been rolling with it. Blogging in addition to having a (often demanding) full-time career has required a lot of sacrifice over the years, and although there have been perks a plenty, the reality has been that it’s just been a lot of work and I just haven’t felt the discipline it takes to keep up with creating high-quality content on a consistent basis.
So I’m taking some of the pressure off and seeing what happens. By nature I’m someone who loves discovering new things and then sharing them with others, so ultimately I’m sure inspiration will strike and I’ll be dying to dive back in, but until then, I’m slowing it down and ditching the obligation of my editorial calendar. Many of you sent kind words of encouragement and understanding (thank you!) but one follower’s message really stood out and resonated with me – what if I stopped worrying about the polished and perfect for a bit and just went back to being real? To just share updates about what’s on my mind and happening in my world.
So let’s do it.
- My little sister got married last weekend! Elise and Casey had a lovely wedding in New York state near where my family lives and we had a whirlwind weekend of wedding activities. She looked absolutely stunning and I successfully completed Maid of Honor duties for the first time, including pulling out a fake diary prop during my speech that had everyone stunned for a second.
- After a few months of back to back to back traveling for work, it’s been really nice to have some uninterrupted time in New York to finish settling into my apartment and explore the city. I’m just about done decorating the apartment (just need to swap out light fixtures in my bedroom + living room) and really love my little space and adore the neighborhood. I’ve been having friends over much more often than in any of my past apartments and it’s been really fun to host impromptu get togethers or have out of town guests stay for a bit.
- I’ve been using Rent The Runway Unlimited to add some fancier pieces into my wardrobe in an effort to “get dressed” for work during the week and it’s been a lot of fun so far. My wardrobe definitely got a bit casual after almost 4 years in San Francisco so it feels good to make a bit more of an effort and get to play dress up in designer pieces that I typically wouldn’t be able to stomach the price tag of.
What’s On My Mind
- I’m feeling a bit out of whack with my diet and exercise routine after having to stop horseback riding when I was getting ready to move to New York. I’ve been back to doing Soulcycle 2-3X a week but am still feeling out of shape and not as fit as I’d like so I’ve been trying to figure out what else I could be doing and how to get things back on track.
- Do you ever have moments where you feel like you’re exactly where you should be? New York has truly felt like that for me since day one and I’m feeling so fulfilled across the board and much more balanced than I have in the past. I’m loving life here and the constant buzz of the city’s endless opportunity and am so grateful that everything fell into place allowing me to make the move.
On the Horizon
- I’m heading to Australia in a few weeks and could not be more excited – although I’ve traveled quite a bit this year, I haven’t had a vacation since Mexico City in February or taken a solo trip yet this year so I’m really looking forward to having some time alone to unwind. Like most of my trips I don’t have much planned yet but I’ll be there for almost three weeks with time in Sydney, Melbourne and Cairns so if you have any recommendations, I’d love to hear them!
- Having seasons again has been wonderful thus far but winter is already on my mind after switching my closet over from summer to fall and realizing that I’m wildly unprepared for some real cold weather. Time to start researching coats and add a new pair of waterproof boots to my closet so I’m not caught off-guard when it gets snowy and freezing.