Balancing my full time job with blogging means that I’m always looking for new ways to be a little more productive and squeeze a few extra to do’s into each day. Being able to get shit done while working from home, either on blog posts or catching up on work in the evenings, is critical for me and as someone who is always game to try a new productivity hack, I wanted to share a few of my own:
1. Wifi that works: While my apartment is tiny, wifi has been a serious struggle since I moved in. From not being able to get a signal in my bedroom (despite being about 15 feet away from the modem & router) to spotty connection, there were far too many times where I wasted precious time waiting for photos to download or losing a blog post I had been working on because the signal went out. I finally got it together and upgraded my wifi system to Samsung’s Connect Home system and guys, it’s a game changer. It’s a powerful mesh wifi system with a really sleek and simple router design that’s super simple to set up – you can also use multiple Connect Home routers together on the same network to eliminate wifi dead zones so you’re fully covered throughout your home. Not having to worry about wifi (and let’s be real, finally being able to watch the occasional Netflix in bed) instantly made it easier to get more done at home and the fast coverage has been a heavenly.
2. Go Smart: I’ve definitely become a bit of a tech nerd since moving to San Francisco (I mean, how can you resist?) and I’ve been adding a few smart devices to my apartment to make life a little bit easier. From using my Google Home to ask about the weather, Sonos speakers to play music, or a Nest Camera to check in on Callie throughout the day, having a little smart tech help can go a long way. In addition to providing killer wifi in my apartment, my Samsung Connect Home also doubles as a SmartThings hub so I’m able to manage each smart home device through one app, making things even easier.
3. Offload Distractions: One of the best/worst things about working from home is the ability to multi-task. From sneaking in a load of laundry while on a conference call to having the plumber swing by around lunch time – it can be really helpful to squeeze these things in during the workday but they can be big distractions. Help yourself stay focused by being conscious of the distracting effect multi-tasking throughout the day can have and do your best keep ’em at a minimum.
4. Create a dedicated workspace: While it can be difficult to have room for a full office setup, especially for city dwellers, being consistent in your workspace makes a big difference. Working from your bed may sound dreamy but you’ll likely not be able to get much done there, and it can also make it difficult to sleep when it’s time to wind down. Stick with a consistent workspace, whether it’s a desk in your living room or even at your kitchen table, to help yourself stay in the working mindset.
5. Stick with a schedule: Working from home can sometimes make it difficult to know when to stop working. The hours tend to fly by when you have the luxury of being able to stay in your pajamas all day! Set up a schedule for your day, including blocking time for any non-work things you’d like to get done and set a goal for yourself of when you’d like to be done, then stick with it!
6. Give yourself a break: Working in an office space with other people around often gives you an excuse to take a break, from a coffee run with coworkers to chatting a bit in the kitchen area while grabbing some water. Working solo at home can mean that you have no real reason to leave your desk and the hours can seriously fly by – block out some time in your day to stretch your legs and go for a walk, or take a break to sneak in a quick workout class. Just because you can be super productive while working from home doesn’t mean it’s healthy to be heads down all day long.
What are some of your tips for being productive at home?
This post was sponsored by Samsug and as always, all opinions are 100% honest and my own – authenticity is a top priority and I only partner with brands I truly love. Thank you for supporting the brands that partner with Pretty & Fun!